Maryland is home to not one, but two National Football League teams, with both the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins playing their games within the state. This brings a fierce rivalry among fans. And that’s not all. Along with having a Major League Baseball team (the Orioles), Maryland is also home to two baseball legends – Cal Ripken Jr. and none other than Babe Ruth.
Betting on the games, much like many other states across the USA, is not allowed in Maryland. This means if you live in Maryland and want to bet on sports you will have to sign up at an online betting site that is licensed and regulated outside of the US.
On this page I will outline the legalities of sports betting in Maryland, recommend a couple betting sites for Maryland residents, and touch on some other betting related topics.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Maryland?
It is not legal to operate a sportsbook in the state of Maryland.
Lawmakers introduced Bill No. 989 in early 2018 seeking to assemble a task force to study the implementation, allocation of licenses, and allow for the acceptance of sports bets. So far, this bill has not moved forward.
That said, it is not illegal for Maryland residents to bet on sports through online betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the US. Keep on reading…
Best Sportsbooks for Maryland Residents
You made it! Marylanders can quickly and easily sign-up for an account with these trusted online sportbooks to get in on the sports betting action.
- Accepts players worldwide
- Competitive betting lines
- Fast & easy deposits and withdrawals (including Bitcoin)
Offline Sports Betting in Maryland
This is still a no go within the state. Residents of Maryland who are betting on sports using a sportsbook or bookie within the state, should know they are operating illegally.
What you can do is use one of the offshore sportsbooks listed above to place your wagers legally.
Major Sports Teams in Maryland
Maryland’s biggest and baddest sports team can be found below. Click on the city name for more specific info about betting in that city.
- Baltimore Orioles (MLB)
- Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
- Washington Redskins (NFL)
Horse Racing in Maryland
Horse race betting is legal in the state of Maryland. You can bet on live races and simulcast racing at tracks in Maryland.
The Preakness Stakes, the second leg of the Triple Crown, brings the eyes of the horse racing world to Maryland each year.
**You can also place bets on all live races that take place at both Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park at BetOnline.ag.
- Laurel Park, Laurel
– Barbara Fritchie Handicap | 3 year olds & up fillies & mares going 7f
– General George Handicap | 3 year olds & up going 7f
– Private Terms | 3 year olds going 1-1/8 mi.
– Marylander | 2 year olds going 7f
- Pimlico Race Course, Baltimore
– G1 Preakness | 3-year-olds going 1-3/16 mi.
– G2 Black Eyed Susan | 3-year-olds fillies going 1-1/8 mi.
– G3 Pimlico Special | 3-year-olds & up going 1-3/16 mi.
– G3 Gallorette Handicap | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/16 mi. on turf