Greyhound betting is very big in the UK, Ireland and Australia, with races being held daily at a variety of racetracks around the countries. Greyhound betting may not be as popular worldwide as betting on horses, but after watching a few races you can easily get hooked. The races are very exciting and if your hound wins the race you can be in for a big payday.
Only a select few online sportsbooks offer Greyhound betting prices at a wide variety of tracks around the world. Both of our recommended sportsbooks do not accept US residents, but they are two of the very best Greyhound bookies online. They are also both very trusted within the industry and you will have likely heard of both of these bookies before.
Best Bookies for Greyhound Betting
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
- Accepts players worldwide
- Competitive betting lines
- Fast & easy deposits and withdrawals (including Bitcoin)
How To Bet On Greyhounds Online
Setting up an online sports betting account and betting on Greyhounds is very easy, but check out our quick step by step guide below to get started.
Bet On Greyhounds – Step By Step
- Step 1: Open An Account – First you will need to open an online sports betting account. Click on either of the two sportsbooks we recommend above to visit their website and open an account. My favorite bookie for Greyhound betting is Bet365.com because you can watch the races right at the site while you place your bets.
- Step 2: Fund Your Account – In order to start betting on the races you will need to make a deposit. Head over to the ‘cashier’ section of the sportsbook and choose one of the banking options to fund your account. I suggest looking at the sign up bonus offered at your chosen bookie and depositing enough to take full advantage of the bonus.
- Step 3: Place Your Bets – Now you’re ready to bet. Head over to the ‘Greyhounds’ betting section of the sportsbook. There you will see a wide variety of tracks, with a bunch of times for all of the races at these tracks during the day. Click on the race and time you want to bring up the runners and the odds. Then go ahead and place your bets. Check the betting options section below to learn more about betting on the Greyhounds online.
Greyhounds Betting Options
Greyhound betting is very similar to horse race betting in that parimutuel betting is used. This means that the odds can change after you’ve placed your bet depending on the other bets that come in on each of the runners. That being said Bet365 also offers fixed odds for many of the greyhound races so you can choose whether to bet the fixed odds against Bet365 or bet using the parimutuel betting system.
You can place win/place bets on each greyhound (win means betting them to win, place means betting them to come first or second), or exotic bets similar to horse racing such as forecast bets (bet on two hounds to come first and second) or tricast bets (bet on hounds to come first, second and third).
If the odds are fixed then Bet365 generally offers each-way betting where 1/4 of your bet is placed on the greyhound to place (finish 2nd). A typical greyhound bet at Bet365 would have each way terms of (1/4 1,2) which means 75% of the bet is on the greyhound to win, while 25% is on the hound to finish second.
The easiest way to learn about greyhound betting is to see it in action. Bet365.com is great because you are able to watch the races directly at the site. If you still don’t understand the greyhound betting options I suggest placing a $1 on a couple hounds at the site, while you watch the races. Even with just $1 on the race it can be very exciting.