Mixed Martial Arts, or MMA for short, has grown by leaps and bounds over the past decade and is now one of the most popular sports to bet on worldwide. MMA is a very exciting, high energy sport, where anything is possible and the winner is in question until the final bell. This is one of the main reasons why betting on MMA fights has become so popular and should continue to gain popularity in the future. The rise of MMA, took place at the same time that online sports betting was also gaining momentum, so the two go hand in hand. Online sportsbooks are definitely the best place to bet on MMA fights because they are convenient (bet from your own home), the odds are the better than you can find in Vegas and the sign up bonuses you can earn add to your MMA betting bankroll.
After dissolving Strikeforce, the UFC has basically become a monopoly in the world of MMA. Sure, Bellator still has good fighters, and some fighters who have either been cut from the UFC or chose to leave for whatever reason can still draw some excitement for other promotions, but the UFC is by far the top promotion in the world and employs the vast majority of the top fighters. It’s good for fans to have all of the top fighters in the world fighting each other in the same promotion, but with this benefit comes some risk that the UFC has too much power over the sport of MMA.
Best Sportsbooks For Betting On MMA
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
- Accepts players worldwide
- Competitive betting lines
- Fast & easy deposits and withdrawals (including Bitcoin)
Recent MMA Posts
UFC events are very popular among bettors in the United States. There is something about the...
UFC fights generate a lot of betting action in the United States. The fights are exciting, the...
The high profile UFC fights are very popular at the sportsbooks. The fact that there is a big...
How To Bet On MMA Online
Betting on MMA fights online is extremely easy. Here is a three step guide you can follow:
- Join an Online Betting Site – First you should sign up at one of the three sportsbooks we have listed above. Those are the top three sportsbooks for MMA betting because not only do they offer a wide variety of fair MMA betting lines, they are also each highly respected and trusted within the industry. Signing up for an account will only take a minute and you will only have to provide basic information.
- Deposit – You will have to fund your account in order to bet on MMA fights. Depositing is generally very straight forward, with credit card deposits being the most common, but there are a wide variety of banking options to choose from including bank transfers, bitcoin, e-wallets (Skrill, Neteller) and more. If you have trouble depositing contact customer support and they will help you out (they want you to fund your account).
- Place Your Bets – After those two simple steps you are ready to bet on any MMA fight you desire. Head to the MMA section of the sportsbook, select your fighter and place your bet. Then sit back and hope that your fighter ends the fight early.
MMA Betting Options
The most popular MMA betting options is simply betting on which fighter wins the fight, which is known as moneyline betting. The odds associated with each fighter dictate how much a bet on that fighter wins if he is victorious.
There are also other MMA bets that can be made such as total rounds (bet on how many rounds the fight will go – usually an over/under of 2.5 for non title fights), method of victory (bet on which fighter wins the fight and how it ends) and round betting (bet on which fighter wins + what round the fight ends in).
MMA Betting Odds
It is important to understand the odds when placing a bet on an MMA fight because you always have to be factoring in the risk vs reward when betting on sports online. Here is an example of an MMA fight with American odds, which is the most common odds format found online:
Conor McGregor -300
Dustin Poirier +250
In this example a $100 bet on Poirier would win $250 if he comes out with a victory, while a bettor would have to risk $300 to win $100 betting on Conor McGregor.
MMA Betting Tips
Here are a few general tips to help you when you bet on MMA the first few times. After that you will learn your own MMA betting strategy and hopefully start building your MMA betting bankroll.
- Prop Bets Can Pay Dividends – You can often find good payouts on likely events, such as a fight going to a decision with two guys who have tremendous defense, or an early knockout by fighter who is in a different league than his opponent.
- Understand Strengths and Weaknesses – Certain fighters will match up well against others based on each fighters skill sets and unique abilities. Watch past fights and try to figure out what game plan each fighter will have and if it will work.
You should also check out the general betting tips page for more basic tips that can be applied to every sport, including MMA.