Using trusted online sportsbooks that have built their reputation through many years in the industry is the best way to bet on hockey. Online sportsbooks take real money bets on hockey games from all of the top leagues and competitions from around the world including the NHL, KHL, World Championships and more.
Betting on hockey online is the way to go because the betting sites we recommend are trustworthy and offer fair odds due to having to compete in the crowded online betting industry. You will also receive sign up bonuses to further build your hockey betting bankroll and winning bets are immediately placed into your online sportsbooks account.
Best Sportsbooks for Betting On Hockey
How To Bet On Hockey Online
Betting on hockey online is extremely easy. Here is a simple three step guide you can follow to place your hockey bets online right now:
- Open A Sports Betting Account – First you must sign up an account at any of the top NHL betting sportsbooks listed above. The process of setting up an account is pretty standard at all online sportsbooks and generally only takes a few minutes. You will be asked for basic information, such as your name, email, address and desired username.
- Deposit – After your account is set up you can proceed to deposit some funds into your account through the sportsbook cashier. The sportsbooks make it easy to get funds online and there are many depositing options to choose from. The most popular deposit methods include credit cards, e-wallets, bitcoin and bank transfers. Getting money online is not generally an issue as sportsbooks will do everything they can to help you fund your account.
- Place Your Hockey Bets – Now that your account has cash in it you can go ahead and bet on the hockey games taking place tonight. Find the Hockey betting section, choose the team you want to bet on, enter your wager amount on the Bet Slip and lock in the bet.
Types Of Hockey Bets
There are many options to choose from when it comes to betting on hockey online.
Moneyline bets are the most popular and basic bets that involve simply betting on which hockey team you think will win the game. The odds for each team indicate your risk vs reward for the bet. A wager on the underdog will win more than the same wager on a favorite.
Puckline bets (aka spread bets) involve giving a 0.5 or 1.5 goal handicap to one team (generally the underdog). This drastically changes the odds associated with each team. Puckline bets are a great way to win extra money if you think the favorite is going to run up the score against a weaker opponent.
Over/under (aka totals) betting is also a popular hockey bet. The oddsmaker sets a total number of goals to be scored in the game (5.5 for example) and you bet on whether more or fewer goals will be scored than the total.
Here is an example showing puck line, money line and totals odds from BetOnline.ag:
Prop bets are also a lot of fun because they are wagers on more detailed events that aren’t necessarily reliant on the final score of the game (how many goals Ovechkin will get would be an example of a prop bet).
Finally, futures bets are perfect for betting on events that will be decided in the future. Placing a bet on the Stanley Cup would be an example of a future bet.
Hockey Betting Odds
If you really want to bet on hockey online then it is crucial that you understand the odds. The American odds format is the most used format for hockey betting so here is a quick explanation with a moneyline example:
Ottawa Senators +125
Pittsburgh Penguins -135
In this example a $100 bet on the Ottawa Senators would win $125 ($225 payout). To win $100 betting on the Penguins you would have to risk $135 ($235 payout).
Hockey Betting Tips
These basic tips should help you make money when you bet on hockey this season.
- Compare odds – Hockey isn’t a sport that sportsbooks spend a great deal of time on when preparing their odds. For this reason you can often find different odds at various sportsbooks online. It is important to have accounts at a variety of online sportsbooks and compare odds prior to placing your hockey bets in order to make sure you aren’t leaving money on the table.
- Research – If you do your research you will be able to find sharp hockey betting lines. If you take in more information than the sportsbooks setting the lines you will be able to beat them on a regular basis.
- Bet Smart (Don’t Tilt or Bet Under Influence) – This is a no-brainer, but it’s surprising how many hockey bettors lose a great deal of their bankroll because of this. If you lose some games in a row take a step back for a few days and gather your thoughts. And never bet after you’ve had a few too many.
Specific Types of Hockey Betting
As mentioned earlier there are a wide variety of leagues, championships and competitions for which you can place hockey bets online.
Recent Hockey Articles
NHL betting handle has continued to grow in the United States over the past several years. This...
The NHL has a big presence in California with the LA Kings, Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks all...
The World Junior Championship will be held in a bubble environment this year, with the top U20...