The Belmont Stakes is the third and final race in the US Triple Crown of horse racing. It is dubbed “the test of the champion” because it is a significantly longer race than either the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness Stakes (1.5 miles instead of approximately 1.25 for the Derby). Betting on the Belmont Stakes race really takes off if a horse has managed to win the first two races in the Triple Crown because the US Triple Crown has not been won since 1978. The best place to bet on the Belmont Stakes is at any of the online sportsbooks listed below. Online betting sites offer very competitive odds, some great bonuses and any you find listed here at BetOnIt.org are highly trusted in the industry.
Best Sportsbooks for Betting On Belmont Stakes
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
- Accepts players worldwide
- Competitive betting lines
- Fast & easy deposits and withdrawals (including Bitcoin)
How To Bet On The Belmont Stakes Online
Setting up an online sports betting account is very quick, easy and straight forward, but to make it that much easier I have put together a quick three step guide for you below:
Bet On Belmont Stakes – Sign Up Guide
- Open an Online Sports Betting Account – Click on any of the recommended online sportsbooks listed above and you will be taken to their website where there will be detailed instructions on how to set up your account. Typically the sportsbooks will only ask for basic information such as your name and email address. The sign up process should only take a couple of minutes.
- Fund Your Account – Once you have verified your email and set up your account you will have to deposit some funds in order to bet on the Belmont Stakes race. Depositing funds is extremely easy with credit card deposits being the most common. However, if you would prefer not to use your credit card there are many other deposit options to choose from and if you run into any trouble customer service will be ready to help you out.
- Place Your Belmont Stakes Bets! – Now head over to the racebook and place your bets on who you think will win the Belmont Stakes horse race!
Belmont Stakes Betting Tips
Here are a couple basic tips to help you win money betting on the Belmont Stakes. Check out the horse race betting page to find some more general horse racing tips.
- Steer Clear of Past Champions – The Belmont Stakes race is the test of the champion primarily because it is quite a bit longer than the Kentucky Derby or Preakness Stakes. For this reason the winner of the Derby or the Preakness should not automatically be favoured in the Belmont Stakes race. In fact the last 11 horses to win each of the first two races of the Triple Crown failed to win the Belmont Stakes.
- Look For Endurance – Research which horses generally have a lot left in the tank at the end of the shorter races. The extra quarter mile in this race is very significant for the horses.
Belmont Stakes History
The Belmont Stakes is actually the oldest of the three US Triple Crown races, having begun in 1867. The first race was held at Jerome Park Racetrack in The Bronx. The race now takes place at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York on a Saturday in the month of June. The race takes place 5 weeks after the Derby. The Belmont Stakes is generally the least attended of the three US Triple Crown races, but if a horse has a chance to win the Triple Crown you can expect the Belmont Stakes race to be followed extremely closely.
To learn more about the Belmont Stakes race, check out the Belmont Stakes wikipedia page.