The NFL is the most bet on sports league in the United States. The 2023 NFL season gets underway on September 7th, and finishes up on January 7th, 2024 after all 32 teams play 17 games across 18 regular season game weeks. The playoffs will begin on January 13th, 2024 with Super Bowl LVIII scheduled for February 11th at Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada.
NFL betting has increased over the past several years with sports betting shedding the negative stigma associated with it in the past. NFL betting has now taken center stage on main stream media in the United States and betting has become and even bigger part of the culture of NFL fandom.
On this page I will recommend an online betting site, touch on the regulatory climate for sports betting in Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska, explain the most popular NFL bets, and provide a simple three step guide you can follow to bet on the NFL online.
Best Betting Site For Americans
Bovada.lv is our recommended betting site for US residents looking to bet on NFL games online. This includes anyone living in Missouri, Kansas or Nebraska.
Bovada has served the US market for a decade, and have proven to be a trusted and fair betting site that has become very popular among US bettors.
NFL Betting in Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska
At this time it is not legal to operate a sportsbook within Missouri. Nebraska did legalize sports betting back in May of 2021, but regulated sports betting has not become prevalent in the state, with WarHorse Casino the only location in Nebraska where bettors can bet on sports at a regulated establishment.
Kansas legalized sports betting in July of 2022 and there are now six regulated online sportsbooks active in the state.
Residents of Missouri and Nebraska can still place sports bets through offshore betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the USA, while accepting American bettors. Bovada.lv, our recommended sportsbook for NFL betting, falls into this category. **Kansas residents are also able to bet through Bovada in addition to the six regulated sportsbooks available in the state.
NFL Betting Options
Bovada.lv has a huge selection of betting lines for all NFL games throughout the season, as well as a wide variety of futures and props bets for the NFL season.
Below I will explain the three most popular bets you can make on an NFL game: spread, money line and total. I will be using the odds for the Kansas City Chiefs vs Detroit Lions week 1 game from this season as the example:
The spread odds are shown in the first column in the screenshot above. In this example the Kansas City Chiefs are 6.5 point favorites in the game (-6.5), while the Lions are 6.5 point underdogs (+6.5).
- If the Chiefs win by 7 or more points, then Chiefs -6.5 bets are winners.
- If the Lions win the game outright or the Chiefs win by 6 or fewer points, then Lions +6.5 bets are winners.
The money line, also known as the ‘To Win’ odds, is simply a wager on which team will win the game outright. The odds for each team indicate your risk vs reward betting on that team.
- A $280 bet on the Chiefs would win $100 (payout $380).
- A $100 bet on the Lions would win $230 (payout $330).
The total is a bet on the amount of points scored in the game by both teams combined. The total in the above example is set at 54.5 points.
- Over bets win if 55 or more points are scored.
- Under bets win if 54 or fewer points are scored.
Bet On The NFL Online – 3 Step Guide
Complete these three steps to place your NFL bets online from anywhere in the United States.
Step 1. Join Bovada.lv
Click the above link and complete the sign up form on the home page to open your account.
Bovada is our top rated sportsbook for Americans.
Step 2. Deposit
Log into your Bovada account and click the ‘Deposit’ link under your accounts drop down menu. Choose one of the deposit options, enter the deposit amount, and follow the instructions to complete your deposit.
Bovada accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Bitcoin, and ETH.
Step 3. Place Your NFL Bets
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top menu bar, and select ‘Football’ from the secondary sports menu.
- Select ‘NFL’ from the ‘Football A-Z’ menu in the left sidebar to navigate to the individual game odds.
- Bovada also has NFL Futures, NFL Regular Season Wins, NFL Season Player Props, NFL Season Props, NFL Specials, and NFL Team Specials categories where you can find different futures and props betting lines.
- Select the odds of the bet you want to make to add it to your Bet Slip.
- Enter your risk amount on the Bet Slip, and click ‘Place Bets’ to lock in your wagers.
Ready to bet? Click here to visit Bovada.lv.