Horse race betting is very popular in California. The state has some of the best tracks in the United States, and is home to several prestigious races throughout the year. The Breeders’ Cup has been held in California 6 of the past 10 years, and the Breeders’ Cup is scheduled to take place at Santa Anita Park this November. This shows that California is considered a top destination for quality horse racing in the United States.
On this page I will recommend two online racebooks for California residents, look at the horse race betting options in California, touch on the different bets you can make on a horse race, and finish up with a straight forward three step guide you can follow to bet on horse races from California.
Best Betting Sites for California Residents
- Accepts players worldwide
- Competitive betting lines
- Fast & easy deposits and withdrawals (including Bitcoin)
BetOnline.ag and Bovada.lv are our two top rated betting sites for California residents. Both sites are popular and trusted by American bettors, and accept players from California. Both sites also have terrific Racebooks that are easy to use, and take bets on all major racetracks from California and across the country.
Horse Race Betting in California
California is a hot bed for horse racing in the United States. California is home to some of the most popular horse racing tracks in the country including Santa Anita Park, Los Alamitos Race Course, Del Mar, and Golden Gate Fields. These are all popular and prestigious race tracks that offer live racing throughout the year.
California residents can place bets in person at any of the race tracks mentioned above, as well as many other smaller tracks that can be found throughout the state. All of these tracks will also offer simulcast betting, allowing you to wager on horses from across the United States from your local track.
Some California horse racing tracks do have their own online betting platforms. That said, we still recommend BetOnline.ag to California residents looking to wager on horse racing from the comfort of your own home.
Here are the maximum net profit per horse race limits at BetOnline for some of the popular California horse racing tracks:
- Del Mar – $50,000
- Gulfstream Park – $50,000
- Santa Anita Park – $50,000
- Los Alamitos Race Course – $25,000
- Golden Gate Fields – $15,000
- Cal-Expo – $1,000
Horse Racing Betting Options
All bets made in the Racebook of either BetOnline or Bovada will use the parimutuel betting system. This means the odds are not fixed, but will change (even after you place your bet) depending on the amount of money wagered on each horse (and bet type) at the official race track.
- Win – A bet on the horse to win the race.
- Place – A bet on the horse to finish 1st or 2nd.
- Show – A bet on the horse to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
Exotic (Exacta, Trifecta, Pick 6, etc.)
- Exacta – A bet on the horses to finish 1st and 2nd (in the correct order).
- Trifecta – A bet on the horses to finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd (in the correct order).
- Superfecta – A bet on the horses to finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (in the correct order).
- Pick 4 – A bet on the horse to finish 1st in four consecutive races.
- Pick 6 – A bet on the horse to finish 1st in six consecutive races.
Bet On Horse Races in California – How To Guide
Follow these three steps to bet on horse racing online from anywhere in California.
Step 1. Open A BetOnline.ag Account
Click the above link, select ‘Join Now’ on the home page and complete the sign up form to open your account.
BetOnline offers new players a risk free $25 horse racing wager, daily 9% horse racing rebates, and a first deposit bonus of up to $1000.
Step 2. Deposit
After logging into your account click on the green ‘Deposit’ button. Choose your preferred deposit method, enter your deposit amount, and follow the instructions to complete your deposit.
BetOnline accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Bitcoin, Ethereum, and more. You can also cash out any winnings via bank wire or check through the mail.
Step 3. Place Your Horse Racing Bets
- Click ‘Racebook’ from the top navigation bar, and select the track you want to bet on from the left sidebar.
- Select the day of the race, race #, and wager type (straight, exacta, trifecta, etc.).
- Enter the amount you want to bet beside your horse(s) and click ‘Add To Bet Slip’.
- If you are happy with the wagers click ‘Submit All Bets’ on the Bet Slip to lock them in.
Here’s a screenshot showing an Exacta bet on a race from Santa Anita Park:
Ready to bet? Click here to visit BetOnline.ag.