It’s March. The Conference Tournaments have concluded. Selection Sunday is in the books. The 2023 NCAA Tournament bracket is set. The games get underway Tuesday, March 14th with the First Four play-in games taking place on Tuesday and Wednesday before the First Round of the tournament gets underway on Thursday, March 16th.
March Madness is always one of the most bet on sports events of the year in the United States and I’m expecting more of the same this year with sports betting booming in the USA.
On this page I will recommend two betting sites that accept Alabama and Georgia residents, touch on the regulatory climate for betting in both states, look at some popular bets you can make during the tournament, and finish up with a simple 3 step guide you can follow to place your bets online.
Best Betting Sites For USA Residents
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
Bovada and BetOnline are our two top rated betting sites for Americans interested in betting on March Madness. Both sites are well known and trusted across the United States, with both accepting players from Alabama and Georgia.
For the rest of this guide I will be using Bovada.lv for all examples.
March Madness Betting in Alabama & Georgia
It is not currently legal to operate a sportsbook in either Alabama or Georgia.
That said, residents of both Alabama and Georgia can still bet on March Madness by joining an online betting site that is licensed and regulated outside of the USA. Both Bovada.lv and BetOnline.ag fall into this category.
Alabama lawmakers are working on bringing sports betting regulation to the state. There have been attempts to legalize sports betting during the 2019, 2021, and 2022 legislative sessions, but no progress has been made. Efforts to bring regulated sports betting to Alabama will continue. Check out our Alabama sports betting page for more on the progress of this bill.
Georgia is in a similar boat with legal sports betting once again failing to make progress during the 2023 legislative session. New legislation will surely be introduced in 2024 to attempt once again to bring legalized sports betting to Georgia. More on this on our Georgia sports betting page.
March Madness 2023 Betting Options
First let’s look at the odds for the NCAA Tournament winner (taken on March 14th):
To see the full updated odds list head to Bovada.lv, select ‘Basketball’ from the secondary sports menu and select ‘College Basketball Futures’ from the Basketball A-Z menu. As you can see Alabama is one of the favorites this year with odds of +750 to win the National Championship.
There are three popular bets that soak up the majority of action on college basketball games. Here’s a screenshot showing the odds from last years Auburn vs Jacksonville State first round game:
- Point Spread – In this example Auburn is a 15.5 point favorite. This means for a spread bet to win Auburn must win by 16 or more points. Jacksonville State must either win the game outright or lose by 15 or fewer points.
- To Win – The middle odds, also known as the money line, simply involve wagering on which team wins the game. The odds indicate the risk vs reward based on each teams implied probability of winning the game. In this example you would have to risk $1700 betting on Auburn to win $100. A $100 bet on Jacksonville State would win $850 if they pull off the upset.
- Total Points – The final bet involves wagering on the total number of points to be scored in the game. The oddsmaker sets a “total” and you can wager on whether the total points scored in the game will be over or under this set “total”.
Bet On March Madness In Alabama and Georgia – 3 Step Guide
Complete these three steps to get your March Madness bets placed online.
Step 1. Join Bovada.lv
Click the above link and fill out the form on the home page to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit Funds
Log into your new Bovada account and click the ‘Deposit’ button. Select your preferred deposit method (Visa, MasterCard or bitcoin) and complete the instructions to make your deposit.
You can cash out your winnings via bank wire, check through mail or bitcoin.
Step 3. Place Your March Madness Bets
You’re ready to place your bets.
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top navigation bar.
- Select ‘College Basketball’ from the Trending Events section or ‘Basketball’ and ‘College Basketball’ from the sports menu.
- Select the bet(s) you want to make.
- Enter your wager amount on the Bet Slip.
- Click ‘Place Bets’ to confirm.
Here’s a screenshot to show you the clicks:
Ready to bet? Click here to visit Bovada.lv
Tagged With : March Madness betting • NCAA Tournament betting