It’s March. The Conference Tournaments have concluded. Selection Sunday is in the books. The 2021 NCAA Tournament bracket is set. The games get underway tonight (March 18th) with the First Four play-in games before the First Round of the tournament gets underway tomorrow.
March Madness is always one of the most bet on sports events of the year in the United States and I’m expecting more of the same this year with sports betting booming in the USA.
On this page I will recommend two betting sites that accept Alabama and Georgia residents, touch on the regulatory climate for betting in both states, look at some popular bets you can make during the tournament, and finish up with a simple 3 step guide you can follow to place your bets online.
Best Betting Sites For USA Residents
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
Bovada and BetOnline are our two top rated betting sites for Americans interested in betting on March Madness. Both sites are well known and trusted across the United States, with both accepting players from Alabama and Georgia.
For the rest of this guide I will be using Bovada.lv for all examples.
March Madness Betting in Alabama & Georgia
It is not currently legal to operate a sportsbook in either Alabama or Georgia.
That said, residents of both Alabama and Georgia can still bet on March Madness by joining an online betting site that is licensed and regulated outside of the USA. Both Bovada.lv and BetOnline.ag fall into this category.
Alabama lawmakers are working on bringing sports betting regulation to the state. In early 2019 a bill was introduced that would allow wagering on sporting events in the state, with an Alabama Sports Wagering Commission set to be created to oversee the implementation. Check out our Alabama sports betting page for more on the progress of this bill.
Georgia is in a similar boat with a bill also introduced in 2019 that would provide for sports betting in the state. A sports betting director position would be created to oversee the implementation of sports betting regulation in Georgia. The bill also states that no more than 10 permits would be allowed under the legislation. More on this on our Georgia sports betting page.
No real progress has been made towards regulated sports betting in either State over the past year.
March Madness 2021 Betting Options
First let’s look at the odds for the NCAA Tournament winner (taken on March 18th):
To see the full updated odds list head to Bovada.lv, select ‘Basketball’ from the secondary sports menu and select ‘Futures’ and ‘College Basketball’ from the drop down menus. As you can see above, Alabama is a real contender this year with odds of 20/1.
There are three popular bets that soak up the majority of action on college basketball games. Here’s a screenshot showing the odds for Georgia Tech’s first round game:
- Point Spread – In this example Loyola Chicago is a 2.5 point favorite. This means for a spread bet to win Loyola Chicago must win by 3 or more points. Georgia Tech must either win the game outright or lose by 2 points.
- To Win – The middle odds, also known as the money line, simply involve wagering on which team wins the game. The odds indicate the risk vs reward based on each teams implied probability of winning the game. In this example you would have to risk $135 betting on Loyola Chicago to win $100. A $100 bet on Georgia Tech would win $115 if they pull off the minor upset.
- Total Points – The final bet involves wagering on the total number of points to be scored in the game. The oddsmaker sets a “total” and you can wager on whether the total points scored in the game will be over or under this set “total”.
Bet On March Madness In Alabama and Georgia – 3 Step Guide
Complete these three steps to get your March Madness bets placed online.
Step 1. Join Bovada.lv
Click the above link and fill out the form on the home page to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit Funds
Log into your new Bovada account and click the ‘Deposit’ button. Select your preferred deposit method (Visa, MasterCard or bitcoin) and complete the instructions to make your deposit.
You can cash out your winnings via bank wire, check through mail or bitcoin.
Step 3. Place Your March Madness Bets
You’re ready to place your bets.
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top navigation bar.
- Select ‘NCAA Basketball’ from the Quick Links section or ‘Basketball’ and ‘College Basketball’ from the sports menu.
- Select the bet(s) you want to make.
- Enter your wager amount on the Bet Slip.
- Click ‘Place Bets’ to confirm.
Here’s a screenshot to show you the clicks:
Ready to bet? Click here to visit Bovada.lv