College basketball is set to take center stage in the American sports world this month with March Madness. The bracket contests and nearly endless betting opportunities make March Madness one of the best times of the year for sports fans and bettors.
March Madness is always one of the most bet on sporting events of the year in the United States. I’m expecting more of the same this year with sports betting as a whole going main stream and the appetite for the NCAA Tournament extra high following last years cancellation.
On this page I will recommend a couple betting sites for Texas residents, touch on the sports betting options in Texas, look at the different March Madness bets you can make online, and finish up with a simple 3 step guide you can follow to bet on March Madness from Texas.
Best Betting Sites for Texas Residents
- Built for American bettors
- Wide variety of competitive betting lines
- Easy to navigate betting platform
Bovada and BetOnline are our two recommended betting sites for Texas residents looking to bet on March Madness. Both sites are popular and trusted among Americans and focused on providing a great betting experience for US residents.
For the rest of this guide I will be using Bovada.lv for all examples and guides.
March Madness Betting in Texas
At this time it is not legal to operate a sportsbook in the state of Texas.
That said, Texas residents are able to place bets through offshore betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the United States. Bovada falls into this category, which is why they have served the USA betting market for over a decade.
Check out our Texas betting section for more information about the sports betting climate in the state.
Popular NCAA Tournament Bets
One of the most popular March Madness bets you can make is simply wagering on which team will win the NCAA Tournament. Let’s look at the futures odds for that first, and then get into some of the popular bets you can make on each individual March Madness game.
These odds are from March 16th (a few days before the tournament), and I included the 15 teams with a 55/1 or better chance to win the tournament at that time. These odds will change as the tournament progresses, so I suggest heading to Bovada.lv to find the up to date odds in the ‘Basketball’ section under the ‘Futures’ and ‘College Basketball’ drop down menus.
There are three common bets that soak up the majority of action for college basketball games. Here’s a screenshot showing how the odds would look for a typical NCAA game at Bovada (using the Texas Tech vs Utah State first round game):
- Spread – The spread involves basically spotting the underdog a certain number of points in the game. In this example Texas Tech is a 5 point favorite, so for a spread bet on Texas Tech to win they would have to win by 6 or more points. Utah State is being spotted 5 points, so they must either win outright or lose by 4 or fewer points for a spread bet on Utah State to be a winner. If Texas Tech won by exactly 5 points the spread bets would push (be returned).
- Win – The win bet, also known as money line, is simply wagering on which team will win the game. The odds associated with each team determine the risk vs reward of the bet. In the above example you would have to wager $200 to win $100 betting on Texas Tech, while a $100 bet on Utah State would win $170.
- Total – The total involves the number of points scored by both teams in the game. The oddsmaker will set a “total” and you can bet on whether the total points will be over or under that amount.
Bet On March Madness In Texas – 3 Step Guide
Follow these three steps to get your bets placed on March Madness online.
Step 1. Join Bovada.lv
Click the above link and fill out the short overlay form on the home page to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit
Log into your new account and click ‘Deposit’. Select your preferred deposit method and complete the instructions to fund your account.
Bovada accepts Visa, MasterCard and bitcoin deposits. You can also cash out your winnings via check by mail or bank wire.
Step 3. Bet On March Madness
It’s time to place your bets.
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top menu bar.
- Select ‘NCAA Basketball’ from the ‘Quick Links’ in the left sidebar, or select ‘Basketball’ from secondary sports menu and locate ‘College Basketball’ in the drop down menu.
- Select the bet(s) you want to make.
- Enter your risk amount on the Bet Slip.
- Click ‘Place Bets’ to lock in your wagers.
Here’s a screenshot showing you some of the clicks:
Ready to bet? Click here to visit Bovada.lv.