The 2023 NFL season began on September 7th, 2023 and will run until January 7th with all teams playing 17 regular season games. The playoffs will follow with the 2024 Super Bowl taking place on February 11th, 2023 at Allegiant Stadium in Nevada.
The NFL is the most bet on sport in both Wisconsin and Minnesota. Neither the Packers or Vikings are considered Super Bowl contenders this year, but both teams will look to make the playoffs out of the NFC North. It’s a good year to bet an NFL fan and bettor in both Minnesota and Wisconsin.
On this page I will recommend a betting site, touch on the sports betting situation in Minnesota and Wisconsin, look at the popular NFL bets using a Packers vs Vikings game from last season as an example, and provide a simple three step guide you can follow to bet on the NFL online.
Best Betting Site For US Residents
Bovada.lv is our top rated betting site for Americans interested in betting on NFL games online. This includes anyone living in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Bovada is the most popular betting for American bettors. They’ve been in business serving the US betting market for the past 10 years and have built a strong reputation as a trusted and fair sportsbook in this time.
NFL Betting in Minnesota and Wisconsin
It is not currently legal to operate a sportsbook in Minnesota. Legislation was proposed during the 2023 legislative session aimed at legalizing sports betting in the state, and even though there was significant support in both the Senate and House, the legalization attempt fell short once again.
In Wisconsin legal sports betting is only available at six tribal casinos throughout the state. Online sports betting is also technically legal on reservation lands or properties in Wisconsin, but it’s only available at One-Stop locations or casino property owned by the Oneida tribe.
Minnesota and Wisconsin residents are both able to bet on the NFL through offshore betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the USA, while accepting American bettors. Bovada.lv falls into this category as an online betting site that has served the US betting market for the past decade.
NFL Betting Lines
Bovada.lv has a wide range of NFL betting options for both individual games and season long futures and props.
Below I will look at the odds from last seasons opening game between the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings to explain the three most popular NFL bets: spread, money line and total.
The spread odds are shown in the first column of the above screenshot. The Green Bay Packers are 2 point favorites (-2), while the Minnesota Vikings are 2 point underdogs (+2).
- Packers spread bets win if the Packers win by 3 or more points.
- Vikings spread bets win if the Vikings win outright, the Packers win by 1 point, or the game ends in a tie.
- If the Packers win by exactly 2 points then the spread bets for this game would push (be returned).
The second column shows the “to win” odds, which is also known as the money line. This is a bet on which team will win the game outright, with the odds for each team determining the risk vs reward of your bet.
- Bet $130 on the Packers to win $100 (payout of $230).
- Bet $100 on the Vikings to win $110 (payout of $210).
The total is a bet on the number of points scored in the game by both teams combined. Bovada has set a total of 49 for the Vikings vs Packers game.
- Over bets win if 50 or more points are scored.
- Under bets win if 48 or fewer points are scored.
- All totals bets push if exactly 49 points are scored.
Bet On The NFL Online – 3 Step Guide
Follow this three step tutorial to bet on the NFL online from anywhere in the Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Step 1. Open Account with Bovada.lv
Click the above link and fill out the sign up form on the home page to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit
Log into your Bovada account and click the ‘Deposit’ link under your accounts drop down menu. Choose your preferred deposit method, enter your deposit amount, and follow the instructions to complete your deposit.
Bovada accepts deposits through Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies and more.
Step 3. Place Your NFL Bets
It’s time to place your NFL wagers:
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top navigation bar on the Bovada website, and select ‘Football’ from the secondary sports menu.
- Select ‘NFL’ from the ‘Football A-Z’ menu in the left sidebar to bring up the individual game odds for all upcoming NFL games. You can also select the ‘NFL Futures’, ‘NFL Season Props’, or ‘NFL Weekly Specials’ links to see the futures and props betting lines.
- Select the odds of the bet that you want to make to add it to your Bet Slip.
- Enter your risk amount on the Bet Slip and click ‘Place Bet’ to make the wager.
Check out our guide section if you’re new to betting online. You will find several articles that will help you feel comfortable betting online, including an odds format explained article that outlines how the odds determine the risk vs reward of your bets.
That’s it. Ready to bet? Click here to visit Bovada.lv.