The 2014 Oscars, aka the Academy Awards, are set to take place this coming Saturday, March 1st. The build up to the Oscars has been going on for a while, with you able to place wagers at most of the top sportsbooks for months now. The Golden Globes took place in early January and they will often give a good indication of which movies and actors have the best shot at adding an Oscar to their career achievements.
Online sportsbook Bovada.lv has some very fair Oscar odds available and is taking bets from most of the categories. Head over to Bovada.lv to see the entire list of odds available and to place your wagers. Below I will be looking at the odds from some of the more well known categories and giving my opinions on who will be taking home the hardware.
**I’m only going to be including the pictures/actors who have a reasonable shot at winning the category, so to see the full odds visit Bovada.lv.
Best Picture Odds
The most important category at the Oscars to most people:
- 12 Years a Slave 1/5
- Gravity 4/1
- American Hustle 12/1
- The Dallas Buyers Club 20/1
- The Wolf Of Wall Street 25/1
12 Years a Slave is a huge favourite in this category and it would be a pretty big surprise if it didn’t win. The movie has a crazy score of 96% at Rotten Tomatoes, which is a good indicator that the critics have loved this movie. I personally didn’t like Gravity, so I am hopeful that 12 Years a Slave takes down this biggest category.
Best Actor Odds
- Matthew McConaughey (The Dallas Buyers Club) -500
- Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf Of Wall Street) +500
- Chiwetel Elijafor (12 Years a Slave) +600
- Bruce Dern (Nebraska) +4000
- Christian Bale (American Hustle) +7500
Leonardo DiCaprio won the Golden Globe for best actor in a Musical or Comedy, while McConaughey won it for the Drama. I think McConaughey’s role was just more difficult than Leo’s and I think that will play a big role in him winning this category.
Best Actress Odds
- Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) -3000
- Amy Adams (American Hustle) +1200
- Sandra Bullock (Gravity) +1500
- Judi Dench (Philomena) +3500
- Meryl Streep (August: Osage County) +4000
Cate Blanchett won the best actress in a motion picture drama at the Golden Globes and she is a massive favourite to also win the Oscar this year. I wouldn’t bet against her.
Best Supporting Actor Odds
- Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) -1000
- Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips) +1000
- Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave) +1000
- Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street) +2000
- Bradley Cooper (American Hustle) +4500
There is a theme here. The Golden Globe winner from the Drama category is the favourite at the Oscars. In this case Jared Leto is a huge favourite and once again I expect him to win.
Best Supporting Actress
- Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave) -175
- Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle) +125
- June Squibb (Nebraska) +3300
- Julia Robers (August: Osage County) +4000
- Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine) +4000
Here is the one exception. Jennifer Lawrence won the Golden Globe for best supporting actress, while American Hustle was in the Comedy or Musical category for the other awards. That said, she is the second favourite according to Bovada with Lupita Nyong’o favoured. It will likely come down to one of these two ladies so choose wisely.
There are a ton of Oscars, but I have just put up the odds for five of the categories. Head over to Bovada.lv and then click on ‘Entertainment’ and ‘Film/Television Props’ in the left sidebar to see the entire list of Oscar odds.